Thursday, November 24, 2005

The Chronicles of a Lost Southerner

Greetings and good day.
 
If you have not checked your calendar or a non-practicing American, let me be the first to wish you a happy Thanksgiving! With all the trimmings of fowl, stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, and some fooze-ball comes another installment of The Chronicles of a Lost Southerner. For some of you this may be a reluctant first, and to others it may be worse than a reoccurring nightmare. Hopefully y'all enjoy it either way.
 
Einstein once said, "The more I know, the more I realize I don't know." I thought I was savvy once, a virtuous soul on a crusade to understand what it meant to be in the right. What it meant to catch a glimpse of truth or to transcend into a state of enlightenment. Now I know it is all a whisper through a curtain of eternity. There is a mystery of historic proportion happening on the outside of my eyes. The great thing about the view from in here is it's just me, myself, and I. a full house nonetheless.
 
To my fear the crowd was not laughing with me as I stood on the stoop telling a story of a life yet fully lived. What a sick and twisted thing life can be. work all the live long days to nurture friends, to love a family, and gain worldly possessions. Then we make it through this encounter
just to realize the hearse ain't gotta luggage rack and there might've been a few we forgot to tell goodbye.
 
Curse the joker as he hysterically laughs at us standing alone on edge of the eclipse with nothing more than ourselves to show for. The earth spins around, the sun never really goes down, and it's just an illusion in our mind that we are actually going somewhere. It wouldn't be that tragic if the
end of the road was nothing more than the beginning of a longer one. A position less reserved for a select few and more controlled in a manner yet refined, with moments of grace laid upon us through the good works done for others.
 
If it is God you believe in, or if it's Allah, Jah, Zeus, or Brahman you believe in, I don't care. Just believe in something other than the reproduced reality set in front of your eyes. Believe in something that cannot be touched, produced, bought, spoiled, corrupted, stolen, tarnished,
sold, or traded. Allow it to become you. Believe to the point that it gives you comfort. Believe in it so when the end is near there's at least something with you. This "something" is the only thing that can be taken along. In this season of giving thanks, I am grateful to have family and friends who will be there until those last days. but I'm really thankful that I won't be alone on the next road.
 
In 2005 I am thankful that friends got married. I am thankful that others have decided to get married. I am thankful that families are still strong and friendships continue to grow years after they were original forged. That healthy children were born to deserving parents. And with all that, I leave you with my best wishes for the many things you have to be thankful for.

Jarvis

No comments:

Post a Comment